Monday, 11 May 2015

Ancestors....


The photo above shows my greatgrandmother and greatgrandfather. This is their wedding photo from 1912. She is kronebrud - crownbride - she wears a crown with her national costume. It is an old tradition that is still around, but not that common. I have inherited one of the broches she is wearing and I now wear it with my national costume.

Around 1900 a lot of people emigrated from Norway to America. My greatgranddad was one of those. I did a quick search in the archives that is now available online. It took me all of 30 seconds to find him. In the records he states his reasons for leaving,  as being in search of a better income. He gives his occupation as being a builder in Norway, but he is seeking work as a railroadworker in the United States. And he says that he is going to Montana. I find the fact that he emigrated fascinating. I find it even more fascinating that he returned to Norway in 1910. I am so glad he did. Imagine what the story would have been like if he hadn't! I would love to know more about his life in America.
The photo below is taken of them around 1960. I remember her vividly, him not so much.


My greatgrandmother and greatgrandfather had thirtheen children. They all lived up. That was not very common at the time. Their second child was my grandmother - she has been so important to me in my life. She still is even if she has been gone for many years.





The photos above is of my grandmother and my grandmother with two of her sisters. The house in the background is the one she built with my grandfather in 1937 and where she lived for the rest of her life. The photo must be from around that time. It looks like the house is not quite finished. The scaffolding is still up and it looks like the roof is not quite done.



I include the photo above because I just love it. My granddad is the bloke number three from the left on the backrow in the blacksuit. I recognise three of the others. The two beside him far out on the left and the one far to the right. They are his brothers. The photo is probably from around 1930 or the early 1930s. I love the grammophone on the bench. Wonder what they where listening to?




Back to my grandmother. Above you can see her with my aunt who is born in 1939. The second world war must have come to Norway when this photo was taken. Below are the two of them about twenty years later with my greatgrandmother, the crownbride in the first photo, and my cousin born in 1961. You can just feel the bloodline. I feel so connected to them all. There are so many similarities in the faces we have around us now. There are so many stories that are so deeply rooted in me and us, that comes to life when I look at these old photos.
I will keep taking photos forever.



No comments:

Post a Comment