Friday, 3 July 2015

The year in books V...

 
Lately I have read Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I picked it because I read a rave review of it, and as I quite enjoy travel tales I was sure that I would love it. I didn't know that it had been made into a movie before I opened the book, even if it was stated on the front page. Cheryl writes about loosing her footing in life when she loose her mother and her decision to hike the Pacific Crest Trail to regain her footing in life. The story takes us through her journey, the encounters she has on her way and her reflections on her life, past and present. It is a good read, but I wasn't completely blown away by it. I have read similar books before that has captured me, that I haven't been able to put away and that has made me dream of going there, despite the hardship they often portray. That didn't happen in this case. Something is missing,but I can't put my finger on what it is. If it hadn't been for the "summer silence" that is here at the moment, it would probably had taken me a lot longer to get through it. But I would have gotten through it. It is not bad. Maybe my expectations where just to high. I do not dream of hiking the Pacific Crest trail after having read the book, but that is not a valid measurement :).

No comments:

Post a Comment