Monday, 13 July 2015

The year in books VI...


I read this book over the weekend. I have read a few books by Karin Fossum. They have always been given to me or someone has asked "do you want to borrow this?" and I think "ok". This time I borrowed it from my aunt. Didn't choose it myself - she asked.

Karin Fossum is a Norwegian crime writer. She is very popular in this country and also abroad. Her books are published in more than 30 countries and over here some of her books have been made into popular movies and tv-series. She writes crime in the sence that there is always a murder, she has an inspector that solves the crime, but she takes it so much further than that.

Each time I get one of her books in my hands I am absolutely certain that I will hate the book and each time I am mistaken. This particular book is about two different mother-son relationships. Each unhealthy, I guess.  Karin Fossum just takes the lives that she portrays to the core of the everyday struggle, the frail happiness and difficult love. I just get drawn into it every time and it sits in my body.

This is a new book (2014) and I am sure it will be published in English. I will leave the translation of the title to the professionals, but direct translation is something to do with hell and fire, even if it has a double meaning :).

I could not put this book away. It is very good. If you ever get a chance to read a book by Karin Fossum - read it. She takes it to the core!

1 comment:

  1. I should put her on my list, as I've heard of her before and I do like mystery novels. . . Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete