Wednesday, 9 September 2015

The year in books VIII.....


 
Siri Hustvedt is an American author of Norwegian descent. The original title of this book is "The Sorrows of an American". Being "Norwegian-American" is also the topic of the book. It is about the main character, Erik, who is born and raised in the United States to Norwegian immigrant parents. His father has just died and Erik find his memoirs where it is indicated he might have been involved in a crime. He travels from New York to the rural area where he grew up. The book takes us through a lot of family history. A lot of L's - Love, loss, loneliness. As a side story, Eriks rents out a flat to a woman he falls in love with. This also plays a big part in the book.

It has taken me a long time to read this book. That doesn't  mean it is bad or boring. I started to read it when I was still on holiday. I don't know if the reason why it took so long to read it was lack of time or the complex story and writing. I did find the way it is written a bit complex. It is the first book by Siri Hustvedt that I have read, and would absolutely read more books by her. It was by no means a turn off.

No comments:

Post a Comment