Thursday, 1 September 2016

Well...


In this Uncertain times.... post I wrote about my own uncertain future as regards my working life and about decisions I have made.

A few days ago we had some sad news at work. Many of the children I teach at the moment are asylumseekers from wartorn parts of the world. They came to us in May as it was put up a center for asylumseekers in the community and many families was sent here. This is all a part of the ongoing refugeecrisis we see in Europe.

Early in August we where told that the governing body of asylumseekers/immigration in this country would review the organization of these centres. We where told that maybe more families would be sent here, and that it was unlikely that the center would be closed down. It came as a shock to us all when we where told that actually it had been decided to shut the center down and move the people to different centers other places in the country.

I am the lucky one in this. I knew my situation and had made some decisions. Now we have a situation that several of my colleagues will either loose their job or some will probably be transferred somewhere. Even harder is it to think about the fact that 25 children will be moved on. They will probably be ok, but at the moment I am sad for them that they will have yet another move and upheavel in their young lives.

Well....I have nothing more to say about the situation than that at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this. Your country has done such good work so far in receiving and supporting refugees, but none of us should be content to hear of any slipping backward, especially when it regards children. These years are so important in developing healthy and productive citizens of the world -- the work you've been doing will have made such a difference.

    ReplyDelete